Re: FC3 and NTFS

On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 15:24 -0400, Loren Lockwood wrote:
> Hi all.  I'm very new at Linux.  Have tried a couple of distros and like
> FC3 best so far.  Some problems exist, though.  I have dual boot with
> Win2K using NTFS.  FC3 can't see that partition.  Bumming around on the
> net I found out that seeing NTFS is an option which is turned off by
> default in the kernel of this distro.  To turn it on, they say I have to
> recompile the kernel.  That seems scary to me, but I found a site with
> very extensive instructions and decided to try it.  But first I need the
> kernel source code.  Where do I find that?  I poked around in Red Hat's
> site, also Fedora's, but didn't find anything.
>
> Also, does this mean that every time a new kernel is issued I'll have to
> go through the same procedure?  Isn't there some way to get this option
> turned on by default?

You do not need to compile.  A module is available at
http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/

install it and you will be on the way.

NOTE:  NTFS support is read-only in Linux.  If you want to share files
between the 2 OSes then you want to create a vfat partition and use that
for the shared data since both OSes can read/write to a Win98
filesystem.