Re: Find hard links?

D. D. Brierton wrote:
On Wed, 2005-02-02 at 12:33 +0000, Paul Howarth wrote:

D. D. Brierton wrote:

I know that you can use find like so:

find -type l

to find symbolic links, but does anyone know how one finds hard links?

Try:

$ find /some/directory -links +1 -type f -ls

The files with the same numbers in the left hand column are hard linked to each other.

I think that that was what I needed. It tells me that two wholly
unimportant files are hard linked to each other. I don't think they were
before I had the problems with the previous hard drive. Should I be
concerned that there might be problems as yet undetected? I have fscked
the partitions on my new drive, and no problems were reported.

The linking together of these files probably happened on your original drive when you had problems with it. Your backups then backed up the corrupted data. It's possible that there are other corruptions in your data (e.g. corrupted files) as well as the files being linked together like this. Do you still have the backups of your data from before you had problems with the original drive?

Paul.