Re: sound and internet problems on FC2

On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 17:26 -0800, Charles Malespin wrote:
> Hi,
>     I am a very new linux user and I finally got XP and FC2 to play
> together on a dual boot.  Now I am having two small problems with
> fedora.  1)  I am using a dell USB wireless reciever that just plugs
> in and connects me to the internet getting the signal from a wireless
> router in my roommates room.  When I use the internet config wizard it
> doesnt seem to find it or have any option for me to use so that I can
> connect.  Am I missing something or do I need to pick some other
> choice?  I am really new to this so I didnt know what to do or
> pick....

You likely need the drivers for the usb network device
> 2)  When I run the sound card test I hear the test sound out of my
> speakers fine, but when I play a CD through gnome CD, nothing comes
> out....  Do I need to fix something before I play CDs?  Any help would
> be appreciated, thanks in advance

two issues here.
1. Is there an audio cable between the cdrom and the sound card?
Generally linux requires the audio cable where winblows uses the data
bus for audio.

2. You did not say whether you can play sound clips (wav, mp3, etc) and
hear them.  If not it may require you to set the volumes in aumix and
possibly alsamixer.