Re: Recommendations for laptop a/c management?

On Wed, 2005-02-02 at 12:01 +0000, Neil Bird wrote:
>    We're going to be using FC3 in the near future, and we have 'proper'
> LDAP-driven networked accounts (auto-mounted to /home, etc.).
>
>    So.  What happens when the laptop's at home & off-network?  The only
> solution I can see is the ugly one of having a sep. local a/c. and
> trying to wangle permissions on files accordingly (and remembering to
> copy across ~/.files).
>
>    There doesn't seem to be the equivalent of <sigh> Windoze's local
> copy of the user 'profile' (i.e., home directory).
>
>    Surely I can't be the first person to want something akin to this,
> but I've found *nothing* in Google or the various laptop Linux sites.
> Linux laptop users seem to tend to use them stand-alone (as far as
> logins are concerned).
>
> --
> [neil@fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
> [neil@fnx ~]# ls -l .signature
> ls: .signature: No such file or directory
> [neil@fnx ~]# exit

What you are wanting seems a prime candidate for having 2 accounts on
the machine.

One for use at work when on the ldap system and one for use at home.
Logout scripts in one (work) can copy needed stuff to the other at
logout time, and login scripts in the same (work) can copy needed stuff
back.

You might want to create a separate /home2 for the home account so it is
accessible from both locations.  User IDs (uid) being the same at both
sites would make the copy easy with permissions for both users in the
same directories.