Re: [GRUB]Resolution setup

Le Mercredi 2 Février 2005 09:52, Paul Howarth a écrit :
> On Wed, 2005-02-02 at 07:49 +0100, Daniel Moyne wrote:
> > I plan to do as I did on Mandrake in phase (1) as I have a 1.42 generic
> > source version including a Makefile :
> > - I run "make" then collect the "dc395x.ko" file generated that I can zip
> > into "dc395x.ko.gz" file,
> > - I dump "dc395x.ko.gz" file into
> > "/lib/modules/kernel_version/.../drivers/scsi",
> > - I run the command (I forget which one) to update the file
> > "modules.dep", - I modify the "modules.conf" file,
> > - I reboot.
> >
> > Then I rebuild the "initrd_kernel_version.img" file to replace the old
> > one that does not include the scsi driver.
> >
> > But to achieve this if I am not mistaken I need a kernel source installed
> > in "/usr/src/linux" and this on FC3 looks like another pin in the neck !
>
> The Fedora Core 3 release notes (look in
> directory /usr/share/doc/fedora-release-3) include a section on building
> device drivers, including how to write a very simple Makefile. In most
> cases you do not need the kernel source to do this. However, if your
> kernel module was written for kernel 2.4 then it probably won't work or
> even build for kernel 2.6.
Paul,
I am afraid I need the kernel because I tried to compile my driver in FC3 like
I do in Mandrake and I ended up with an error message something like "no
Rule.....found" (sorry I do not have it in mind as I am on Mandrake now)
simply because to compile something tied up to the kernel a kernel source is
needed, but I will go later in the day trough your doc reference and look at
what is said.
Regards.

--
               kernel 2.6.8           / --- \     kernel 2.6.9 and 2.6.10