Re: Core 3 Install Problem

It looks like the Logical Volume Manager or Group is having a problem.
 Basically you have the following:

1  PV - physical volume - the basic partiton that gets added to the
LVM.  Typically either a standard primary or logical partition.

2    PE -- physical extent -- subset of a PV, every PV has a bunch of
equal sized pieces of disk space called PE's.  (Although if you have
differrent LV groups, you can also have differrent size PE's)

3    LV  -- logical volume - group of LEs, you can mount something
like /home on an LV.

4    VG  -- volume group -- group of volumes (makes sense).

THere are 2 ways to create an LVM Volume Group in RHEL3.

1) set it up during the install (GRAPHICAL MODE) using disk druid; OR
2) it is possible to add them later after the install, (fyi n/a here)

You might try getting around your install problem by actually running
fdisk as early as you can in the install process, maybe from another
terminal window (Ctrl - Alt_ F4 lets say).  If you can get the kernel
into ram (ramdisk) then you should be able to switch to a command
prompt and do these things as root.

1.  Create a physical volume (PV)
	# pvcreate /dev/hdd       # for example if your hdd is the fourth
device on the chain

THen you should view it with fdisk to see what you have.  If you have
something, try
	# pvcreate /dev/hdd2       # creates a new PV on that partition

2.  Create a volume group with syntax
	# vgcreate volume_group_name /dev/hdd2  /

	add to the size of it with the command
	# vgextend volume_group_name /dev/sda

3.  Create a logical volume with the syntax
	#  lvcreate -l number_of_PEs volume_group_name -n logicalvol

This will create a device called /dev/volume_group_name/logicalvol
ALso make sure that /etc/fstab looks like the following:

LABEL=/home/marc   /home/marc   ext3   defaults   1 2

Also you should do

# e2label /dev/volume_group_name/logicalvol   /home/marc

which creates a label for the directory.

All for now, I hope that helps somewhat.

Cheers
Marc