Re: Fwd: How can i find out, what files a RPM is provding?

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 14:16:14 -0600, Gain Paolo Mureddu
<gmureddu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> David Hoffman wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 01:34:53 -0600, Gain Paolo
> Mureddu
<gmureddu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Well, I'd
say taht the answer to the questoins as you put them is:
rpm -qa |
> grep tar or rpm -qa tar (sometimes it will not work that way) to
find the
> package
rpm -ql tar to see the list of what it provides, I just find it
> easier to
just type -l than --whatprovides.

What?

How about reading "man
> rpm"?

First, "rpm -qa | grep tar" is not going to give him his results.
> The
file he is looking for is called "Tar.pm". When you run "rpm -qa"
> it
does not go into the detail about which files are installed, only
gives
> you information about the packages. And "grep tar" won't find
"Tar.pm"
> anyhow because grep is case sensitive... "unless you typed
"grep -i
> tar".

Second, "rpm -ql" is used to list the files that are installed by
particular package.

He doesn't know which package installed the file, so
> your solution
means he would have to do rpm -ql to every single package
> installed on
his system just to search for the file.

"rpm -q --whatprovides
> /path/to/file" will tell you which package was
responsible for installing a
> particular
> file.

David
There
> are only 10 kinds of people in this world,
those who understand binary, and
> those who don't.

 Ok, I understand now what was what he wanted.... Still
> rpm -qf /path/to/file will tell to to what RPM that file belongs to.
>
> So I think the whole procedure (since I don't know where Tar.pm might be)
> find / -iname Tar.pm then rpm -qf /path/to/Tar.pm, he could use locate if
> his DB is updated.

Gain,

I don't think your solution does all that much different than what I
already stated over a day ago. I'm not sure why you feel the need to
turn this into an argument. My solution would have worked just fine.

I'm just trying to help people out here. I don't get paid for this and
don't need to argue with idiots over the 1001 ways to do something.

Someone asked for an answer and he got it. Stop wasting my time and
drop it already.