Re: problems mounting fat32 partition

Tom wrote:
> Ok, have been playing around a bit and found that by running 'partprobe'
> I can get it to pick up the partitions on /dev/hda.
>
> I think there is a problem with reading the partition table during the
> initial boot, as I get the error message: "Buffer I/O Error on device
> hda, logical block 0", just before it starts redhat nash.

Please note that this is one sign of a failing disk. And the partition
table is *precisely* where you do not want a disk to fail.

Please run, as root,
smartctl -H /dev/hda

smartctl -l error /dev/hda

smartctl -t short /dev/hda
which will do a low-level check on the disk: wait a minute for that to
run, then do
# smartctl -l selftest /dev/hda
to see the results.

And make sure that you've got good backups.

James.

--
James Wilkinson       | ... including, but not limited to, windstorms, the
Exeter    Devon    UK | Riders of Nazgul, infuriated chickens, peasant