Re: Linux Sun's JVM needs improvements

On Jan 31, 2005, at 3:41 PM, Gain Paolo Mureddu wrote:

As I already pointed out in another thread, I really think the Linux JVM provided by Sun (even the latest 1.5.0) needs serious improvements... Whether it be applications such as Azureus (Bit Torrent client), LimeWire (p2p client), or web applets embeded in webpages, whenever Java loads in Linux, it is such a system hog!! I've seen it use as much memory as 400 Mb (according to top and ps) for an application that in itself should not use more than a couple tens of megs, like a p2p client... the problem is not the program which runs on top of Java, that usually is under expected memory ranges, but the Java process itself is the one that uses the most memory, plus it will begin to leak sometimes... Looks as if the Linux JVM had zero garbage collection.

I use Eclipse everyday as a development tool and to my knowledge it's never approached 400Mb
is size. Given it's appetite for resources I'd tend to suspect that an app taking so much more memory is poorly
written. The VM can't make up for bad programming.

Just the same, Sun's port to Linux came as an after thought and rode on the shoulders of the Blackdown
team ( www.blackdown.org ). I think Sun gives more lip service to Linux than actual engineer time.

Sun should really take care of thier JVM if they want to make Java succeed in *nix. Even their won JVM has many troubles running on their Solaris platform... So this is more a *nix in general issue than just Linux alone.

you might try posting your thoughts to the java-linux list ( see blackdown mentioned above ).
I know at least one Sun engineer reads it regularly and responds to issues.