Re: confusing /etc/fstab

On Monday 31 January 2005 13:33, Pedro Fernandes Macedo wrote:
> Paul F. Almquist wrote:
> >Labeling does introduce a problem:  What happens if 2 partitions have the
> > same label?  Which one does mount choose?  I do not know the algorithm
> > but I do know that mount does not know which one you want to use.  In the
> > technical college where I taught Unix/Linux system administration we had
> > removable IDE drives in our lab machines. (standard IDE drives in a tray
> > that slides into a bay the in cabinet.  works good.  I use them at home
> > too)  I had a removable drive bay on my office machine. A couple of times
> > I had to make some repairs to corrupted student drives.  Since the drives
> > are not hot-swappable   I would power down my machine, insert the
> > student's drive, power up and boot. Their partition labels were the same
> > as on my internal IDE drive and as a result would bet mounted instead of
> > my partitions.  After a couple time of messing with that I changed the
> > /etc/fstab file on my system to use device names instead of labels.
> >
> >fsck also recognizes the labels, probably other disk related commands
> > too.
> >
> >paul
>
> In such cases , I strongly suggest changing the labels. Here I used to
> have FC2 and FC3 test releases (during FC3 test) installed.
> The root for FC2 was labeled / , the one for FC3 was labeled fc3/ . And
> the same way for other partitions.
> Now , if you need to insert another disk with the same labels , you can
> always change the root=LABEL=/ part on grub to point to the right device.
> This change can be done at boot time (just press "a" on grub screen) and
> it probably will fix the issue, since the kernel will know exactly which
> partition to use on boot time.
That would take care of getting the right root partition but what about the
case where, for example, /usr was in a separate partition on each disk with
the same labels?

Fortunately I rarely had to deal with the problem and since I retired last May
I won't likely run into to it again.

paul
--
Paul F. Almquist