Startup Scrpts

Title: Message
Hi,
I am new to the world of linux, for my sins I have been entirely a Microsoft person; untill now,  and I need some advice on how to do something.

I have a server running Fedora Core 3, with Resin.

I want to be able to create a startup script that will set some environment variables for Java, start up Resin and the call two custom scripts I have been given.  I have been playing around with a file called resin-a.sh which a web site suggested creating to run the commands I want.

From a promt, if I type the following the variables are set OK, but if I include them in the resin-a.sh file and type sh resin-a.sh  they are not set.

export set JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_06
export set RESIN_HOME=/usr/local/resin
export set PATH=$PATH:/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_06/bin

I also want to somehow include in this script a startup command for httpd.sh to start the resin web server and also to call to other scripts.

Any help would be much appreciated, as I said I am completely new to this and its a little confusing.
Regards
Paul