From: fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mark Eggers
Sent: Friday, January 28, 2005 5:03 PM
To: For users of Fedora Core releases
Subject: Re: FC3, Apache, and Front Page

On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 15:15 -0500, Temlakos wrote:
> editors that function in a back-office fashion. However, they do allow
> the creation and editing of Web pages on my own hardware, and the
> publication of those pages to their server space. They have "Front Page"
> extensions, too--but I don't want to bother with MS Front Page if I
> don't have to.

How do they allow you to publish pages to their site?  If by ftp, there are a lot of tools that can manage that.

If by webdav, then at least Quanta+ works.  Screem appears to work as well, but I'm not as fond of the Screem interface.  I don't know if any of the WYSIWYG page editors work with webdav.

Speaking of WYSIWYG page editors, there are at least three that I know of.

NVU -                   see www.nvu.com
Mozilla Composer -      see www.mozilla.org
OpenOffice Writer/Web - see www.openoffice.org

That said, I don't like any of them.  In particular, the handling of <div></div> is very poor.  At best, you'll get absolutely positioned divisions which is a bane for liquid designs.

Also, they generate at best transitional HTML (not strict or XHTML).
The end result is sloppy (possibly non-compliant) HTML that may not work the same in all browsers.

I alternate between Bluefish and jEdit.  Neither are WYSIWYG.
Just my opinion . . . .

--
Mark Eggers <mdeggers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>