Re: modprobe aha1542 command not found

Jonathan Berry wrote:

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 06:07:02 +0400, Steve Sykes <ssykes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[reorder]

On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 06:35, Krzysztof Kujawski wrote:

I am logged as `su' and I can't detect SCSI host AHA1542.
After command `modprobe aha1542' I got `command not found'.

When I am logged as `root' it works.

Chris

You need to use the path, which is '/sbin/modprobe aha1542'.

Steve

You have gotten correct responses, but just to explain things fully: The "su" command does not change the path environment variable. This variable tell the shell where to look for a particular command (ie program) if no path is given for the command. For normal users, this usually includes directories such as /usr/bin/, /usr/local/bin/, etc (run "echo $PATH" to see them all). Commands usually only allowed by root are stored in /sbin/ or /usr/sbin/. modprobe for one is in /sbin/ as indicated by Steve. So when you use the "su" command, the system does not update the path to include /sbin/, so it won't look there for modprobe and needs the full path to it to run. You can also use "su -" which will update the path to include /sbin/. Thus, you don't need to have the /sbin/ in your modprobe command, just like you were logged in as root.

Jonathan

Jonathan, thanks for the explanation of the difference between su and su -.