Re: Partition help

On Sun, 2005-01-30 at 21:17 -0700, James McKenzie wrote:
> Leo Donahue wrote:
> > I need help installing Fedora Core 3 on my laptop.
> >
> > My goal is to learn Linux enough to stop using windows.
> >
> > I have win2k on my laptop.  PIII ~900MHz. 512MB ram. 20GB hard drive.  Currently win2k only has 10001MB of my hard drive.  Under windows, there is another primary partition that is unformatted.
> >
> > I inserted the FC3 cd and rebooted.  I got to the point where the Anaconda wizard tries to partion the remaining portion of my hard drive for me.  I get an error that says something about not being a primary partition or something.  So I use Disk Druid to setup the partitions like the Book I'm using suggests.
> >
> > I'm reading the text by Sobell, "Practical Guide to Red Hat Linux".
> >
> > The text suggests the following for partions:
> >
> > /boot    100 megabytes
> > /        500 megabytes
> I have a / (also referred to as root) partition of about 1.5 GB which
> holds everything except /tmp, /opt, /tmp, /usr and /var.  You should be
> able to get away with only 1 GB of space here.
> > (swap)   two times the amount of ram
> You are running a laptop, .%5 GB will do just fine.
> > /home    As large as necessary, depends upon # of users
> You plan on having a large number of users?  If only one or two, roll
> this into your / directory
> > /tmp     Minimum 100 megabytes
> I'm running 2 GB with only 3% used.  I would recommend keeping this at
> 100MB

I mostly agree with what you said, but /tmp is not the place to skimp
this much.  Whenever you burn CDs/copy CDs, or do lots of other stuff
the temporary scratch space is /tmp.

I would recommend 1gb or as others have suggested, for a laptop with
likely only one user and only a 10gb drive use 3 partitions.  /boot,
swap, and / and it should work well.

In fact, that is the configuration on mine and has been for over a year.