Re: Big mistaking extracting files, how to "undo" it?

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005, Leandro Melo wrote:

Hi.
I had a zip file which i needed to extract.
This zip file contains a base folder in which there are a few subfolders, etc...
I opened the zip file with file roller, which naturally showed me the
base folder (the one i just mentioned). Then I set it to extract this
file under /usr/.
Specifically, this was the Eclipse project file. The zip file contains
a base folder called eclipse in which are all the subfolders and
project files.
Then i thought that file roller would extract the files to me in a way
that i would maitain the same hierarchy. So, i thought i would have
the folder /usr/eclipse and under /usr/eclipse i would have the other
subfolders and files.
The problem is that when i told it to extract, file roller simply
extract all FILES of the original zip file undre /usr/. So now i got
hundreds of file under my /usr/ directory.
Addionally, file roller didn't create any of the subfolders of the
eclipse base folder (which, as said, was not created either).
What could i do to "undo" this process? I'm very new to linux.
Is there a way i to delete files created at some specific date??? So i
just would go with this. For example: Delete all files created after
saturday 30.

Also, i could delete only all FILES from my /usr/ dir, which before
the whole thing only had subfolders. Maybe i could use rm for that,
but as i'm a linux beginner i'm not sure which comannda line options
to use. Maybe: rm -/usr/*

Well, any help is appreciated.

"rm /usr/*" will delete only files in the directory /usr. Directories will remain intact. To recursively delete directories and their contents, use "rm -r <path>". If you are getting prompts for every file, use "\rm /usr/*". Read "man rm" carefully.

FYI, here's the contents of my /usr/ dir:

$ ls /usr
bin  etc    include  kerberos  libexec  lost+found  share  tmp
doc  games  java     lib       local    sbin        src    X11R6

(I added the symlink /usr/doc -> /usr/share/doc. /usr/java is installed by Java. lost+found appears in every partition. The rest are FC directories (well, tmp is a symlink).)

I use unzip from the command line to unpack .zip files. Never tried the file roller, to be honest.

There are Eclipse RPMs at Jpackage (www.jpackage.org), although it takes some setting up to get it all to work together.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences