Changing net devices & routing problem

I want to switch on the fly between several network interfaces: eth0,
wlan0, and ppp0.  It is easy enough to take down one interface and bring
up another.  The problem is that the routing table is not set correctly
for the new interface.

If I specify "GATEWAY=192.168.0.1" in /etc/sysconfig/network then traffic
is routed correctly for eth0 (my usual interface).  However that is
innappropiate for either wlan0 or ppp0, and no packets are routed with
this config in place.  If I do not specify the gateway, then it is eth0
that fails to route packets correctly.

How can I specify the default route on a per-interface basis?

Thanks.