Question on autofs use

I have stayed away from automount services such as autofs for a long time. But now that it seems to be stable I am trying to use it again.

Reality is it works just great! No problems except...

How many link shortcuts can one place onto the desktop? I placed six links on the desktop then discovered I couldn't make any more. I also had one go away at some point on it's own and I still can not add anymore than the five remaining.

Suggestions?

Bill