Re: Fedora Core 3: /media/cdrecorder keeps dissappearing

On Saturday 29 January 2005 4:35 am, James Wilkinson wrote:
> Incidentally, you say that this motherboard is a KD7, and only has the
> problem on the rear ports. And this is reproducable with several USB2
> devices. Taking a quick look at the documentation suggests that both
> front and rear ports use the same VIA USB2 implementation. That means
> that as far as software is concerned, they should be identical: any
> software problems should show up on any port.
>
> This *thoroughly* suggests that there is something wrong with your rear
> USB ports. It could be that the rear USB ports aren't quite wired
> properly, or a trace problem on the motherboard, or a defect in the
> silicon that handles those USB devices.
>
> Sorry.

Hello, James
Thank you very much for your response.  More than that, you are the first
person that has given any creedence to the thought that I've had about this
matter:  that there might just be something wrong with the cable/ports that
connect to the USB2 bus.  Things are working as they are supposed to now (our
scanner and our burner are both in the front ports, so I should have no need
of rebooting soon :)) but sometime tomorrow, I plan on shutting down our
computer and switching the cables.  I will leave both USB2 devices in the
same ports they are in now.  Theoretically, both devices SHOULD eventually
"dissappear"  I will get back to you with the results.

Thanks again :)  Like I said, your thoughts confirm my suspicions.

Have a Great Day
Steven P. Ulrick