Re: Just some questions I had.

On Sat, 2005-01-29 at 21:03 -0500, Kyle Lagonegro (Student-Lagone37)
wrote:
> First off with these other disks, CD 3 and 4, I've commented on them and got a few responses, but I'm just curious as of what they are, and how do I use yum (or whatever I'm suppose to use) to put these programs on my computer.

Extra Packages released at the versions they were at the time Fedora
Core was released. (November of 2004) Most all of them have been
upgraded sense.  I would advise, for the moment, to get the feel for the
desktop environment first before looking for more programs. That way if
anything does break when you install something, you have the feel of
where to begin to look.  The rule of thumb here is, if the installer did
not ask for the CD then it is not vital for what you chose to initially
install.

Yum, or Yellowdog Updater Modified, is a command-line tool to upgrade or
install software. Instead of hunting the web for the download for a pdf
creator, you can use yum to directly download and install it for you.
The only prerequisite for this is that you know the name of the package
you want.  In this case, yum list available, or www.fedoratracker.org
will let you know what is out there.  I prefer the latter as it will
generate the configuration files that yum needs for you.  When you are
ready to take the plunge, browse the site for a package you need. Then,
use yum to install.  Do this by yun install <whatever> as root.

> Another thing I've been reading about OGG files instead of using MP3's.  I have a bunch of CDs and I had them all on my computer, so when I decided to switch, instead of going through all the albums again, I made MP3 CDs, they take up less space and I could fit more CDs on one MP3 disk.  But since nothing on here supports MP3 (As of now) can I somehow easily convert the files to OGG and play them?  Or is there something I need to download or what?

Ogg Vorbis, or OGG is an open source alternative to MP3.  It uses a
variable bit rate, so its compression/quality ratio is actually a bit
better than MP3 or WMA.

However, I would not convert MP3 directly to OGG. both are lossy
formats.  This means both of them strip information from the original
file. When you encode into MP3 some of the file information is lost. If
you were to then  encode that MP3 file into OGG you will lose even more
info.  That means even less sound quality.  If you have the original
CD's re-rip them into OGG.  IF not, and you are stuck with mp3 this site
http://www.fedorafaq.org/#xmms-mp3 will help you get mp3's playing in no
time

> Thirdly, friends of mine constantly send me links to stupid movies, things like "Worst Weather Man Ever" or maybe a trailor to a new movie.  But when I download them they don't seem to play correctly, I've noted three kinds that don't work as of now.  WMV (Which was obvious), MPG and AVI files all won't play, as of now I think Helix is the only video playing program I have, but again I don't know what is on those other disk.  Let me know if you guys come up with anything, I'm working tonight, but until them I'll be on AIM (OffedByAchilleus) and surfing the net trying to find answers to these problems.  Thank you so much.

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Fedora-Multimedia-Installation-HOWTO/ is another
helpful site. Written by King Eric himself LOL. Another option is to
look for mozplugger. Nice package.

If you need anymore help. just Holler

MC