Re: Regarding MP3 support

On 01/29/2005 02:51:08 AM, Brian Mury wrote:

I am in the process of ripping my entire CD collection. I am currently
up to about 10 GB. I like the idea of being able to carry my entire CD
collection in my pocket, and not have to decide before hand which 6
albums I want to have available. Especially when the military sends me
somewhere for 6 months!

Do yourself a favor - go buy a hard drive or three, and rip to flac lossless. Flac supports tags, so once you fix the messed up CDDB entries, you are gold from then on. Then you can go from flac to whatever (mp3, aac, ogg) and it is just like (quality wise) ripping from the original media, as flac is lossless, but it is MUCH faster because you can fit a large number of flac files on a single hard drive and don't have to swap CD's etc.

In say five years, when ogg, mp3, aac are obsoleted by something with transparent quality at half the filesize of current typical lossy (I use -preset standard, ~ 196 VBR) - you can move to it without having to re-rip everything again.

You don't have to keep the drive mounted, I attach mine only when /home is starting to get full and I need to move recently ripped flacs off of / home and onto the drive (or when I want to transcode to a different lossy format - or use a newer/better version of lame to re-encode everything, etc.)