Can NFS Installs Be Attacked?

Suppose I install Fedora Core 3 on a machine using NFS, http, or ftp. Is it possible for some outside agent to attack the installation process, or subvert it, with or without my knowing about it? Does the anaconda installer block incoming network connections while it is performing an installation?

Thanks

Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland, USA