Re: browser plugin support under FC3

Angelo Machils wrote:

Hello!

I'm running FC3 x86-64 on a AMD 64 3000+ system, but I can't seem to manage to install browser plugins under either Firefox (version 1.0) or Mozilla. I do the manual install after the automatic fails. The install goes okay, but after it I still don't have the plugin.
I'm trying the trail version of CrossOffice (for Quicktime) and allthough the program standalong works, the plugin doesn't. I have the plugin in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and copied them also to /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins.
I have done the /usr/sbin/prelink -ua tip I found on the internet for FC3, but nothing seems to work.

What am I missing here. Installing plugins wasn't so difficult on my FC2 (i386) system.

Thanks in advance, Angelo

Firefox for Linux x86_64 has a quirk. You can't install the 32-bit versions of some plugins, most notably flash player, maybe others, because flsh player is still for 32-bit Linux, I don't exaclty know why it will not work on an x86_64 system, I think it is becuase of some of the libraries requried by it that may not have all the required components the plugin needs (maybe it is due to the intrinsic differences in sizes of integers and the like).