Re: Compiling Kernel on FC2

James Wilkinson wrote:

Gain Paolo Mureddu wrote:

Yeah, all that I do as root, otherwise I couldn't wirte to the linux-2.6.<insert_version_here> under /usr/src ;)

/usr/src doesn't have to be root-only: it's perfectly permissible to create a group (say "compile" or "wheel") and chmod /usr/src so that the group has write access. Then put a normal (trusted) user and root into the group.

Then you can untar, configure and compile under /usr/src as a normal
user, and only have to become root to do the installation.

I'd call this better practice than doing everything as root, and it's
more or less what I do.

James.

Actually I had it that way, but for some reason at some point it would not allow me to write to the directory (even when set perms as 775), the group was kbuild, BTW. I'll try that again, since that happened in FC2.