Re: TurboTax - Linux?

Matthew Miller wrote:
On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 08:59:28PM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:

Yeah; I've done this for several years under Linux, and am pretty happy with
it. Downside is Intuit stores all of your private data on their servers;
upside is kinda the same thing, since it's all very easy the next year since
they can prefill anything that hasn't changed.

Doh! This year, turbotax for the web gives me the dreaded:

  TurboTax for the Web does not work with the Web browser you are using. You
  must use one of the following supported browsers:

  Windows®

Windows XP Internet Explorer® 6.0, Netscape® 7.x, AOL® 7.0 or higher
Windows 2000/98/Me Internet Explorer 5.0 or higher, Netscape 7.x, AOL
7.0 or higher
Windows NT® Internet Explorer 5.0 or higher, AOL 7.0 or higher

  Mac OS®

     Mac OS 9.0 or higher   Safari 1.x, AOL for Mac OS X

That's probably because TurboTax for the Web is written in MS Active Server Pages or J-Script Pages or some proprietary mess like that. Intuit needs to write things in Java, and otherwise stick to W3C-compliant code. Until they do--well, I suppose we'll have to learn how to run IE5 on WINE--if we can /get/ IE5 separate and apart from Windows.

Temlakos