Re: Installing fedora at school

On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 14:04 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> Jeff Vian wrote:
> > On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 08:50 -0700, James Mckenzie wrote:

Getting rather deep in the thread here, but yes, Fedora is definitely
free-for-all, and Red Hat makes the source code of the much-more-stable
RHEL (for which Fedora is the proving ground) freely available, enabling
a number of free "clones", as well as giving deep discounts for
educational use, as mentioned earlier, if you want/need and can afford
the support.

... snip ...

> We use FC1, FC2 and FC3 in production environments for mail, database
> (PostgreSQL, MySQL), LDAP, web hosting and streaming.  It's stable
> enough.
>
> Sure, there are updates for security and such, but I'd rather have a few
> updates more often (and Linux/Gnu is far more responsive to security
> issues than "the Redmond gang") and the ability to install on the fly
> without a bloody reboot than one massive one (can you say SP2?) that
> requires a system reboot AND breaks lots of the applications as well as
> introducing MORE security holes.

We use Fedora for both desktops and servers, but do use some of the RHEL
rebuilds on more critical machines where greater stability is desired.
See http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major for some of the
popular choices:

Top 5 RHEL-based distributions: 1. CentOS 2. Lineox Enterprise Linux 3.
Tao Linux 4. White Box Enterprise Linux 5. Fermi Linux

Good Luck!
Phil