Re: 64-bit FC3 on nForce4 motherboards

Brian Stretch wrote:

The nForce4 chipset provides its own SATA controller. The Neo4 does have a Silicon Image SATA controller in addition to that but I have it disabled in the BIOS (there is no hardware jumper to disable it). The rescue DVD mentions loading a sata_nv driver or something like that.

I could try enabling the Silicon Image controller and moving the drive to that, but I'm not sure that's wise?

I also have an IDE drive plugged in... hmm, could that be causing problems? In my old system the SATA drive was on a Promise controller and the IDE on a VIA chipset controller.

Yes, you are right... Newer kernels have support for a driver called sata_nv.ko, even plain vanilla 2.6.10 has support for it. Hmm... since you are able to boot in rescue mode, I'd avise you to try to boot and then boot in rescue allow the installer to check your installations and to mount the partitions, then at the prompt chroot to /mnt/sysimage and check /var/log/messages for any SATA references (or 'grep sata /var/log/messages') to see what may be going on... If you do see something, you can dump the output to a file (with the '>' modifier) and post that back.