Re: fc3 on old 7GB HD with 64MB Ram

Charles E Taylor IV <tomalek <at> mindspring.com> writes:

> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 15:48:00 +0100 (CET)
> duncan <at> lithgow-schmidt.dk wrote:
>
> > The laptop has fc2 running now, but not very well - i just installed it
> > 'out of the box' with no tweaks. I now want to put fc3 on with whatever
> > tweaks people can suggest.
>
> Run XFCE4, not Gnome or KDE.  That will save you a *lot* of memory which
> your system can use for other things.
>
> Disable any services you don't absolutely need after the installation.
> FC3 runs more stuff by default than you will need on an
> older box.
>
> For casual browsing on old hardware, you might want to install dillo in
> addition to firefox/mozilla.  See http://www.dillo.org/

Hi Charles, thanks for the reply...

Sounds good, but i'm a linux virgin (well nearly).

1. So in order to use XFCE4 instead of Gnome or FDE what do i do? Do I specify
that in anaconda or later? Also, is that a minimal graphical environmental or
just a terminal?

2. I understand the idea of disabling unneeded services, but how do I know
which are unimportant? I know that in anaconda i can select aminimal
instalation - is that minimal enough for this?

3. I'll take a look at dillo - thanks

Duncan