Re: Resizing a partition

Lucas Chan wrote:

Hi,

I recently signed up with a super-cheap dedicated server company to run one
of my personal sites.  The box was pre-installed with FC2.

Some of the partitions they set up on it are ridiculously small.  I
contacted them saying:

"I'm quickly running out of space on a couple of partitions and need them to
be resized. I understand this needs to be performed at the console with a
boot disk so I'm submitting a ticket to you guys."

They responded saying:

"We cannot resize the partitions without reformatting/reimaging the drive."

Am I missing something obvious?  I thought resizing partitions was quite an
easy thing to do with parted?  Are there some oddities with resizing
partitions in Fedora that I'm not aware of, or am I just getting the quality
technical support you'd expect from an el-cheapo hosting company?

The RHEL parted docs I found indicate to me that this is a simple process:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-3-Manual/sysadmin-guide/s
1-parted-resize-part.html

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Lucas Chan

Well, you'd have to do it from a rescue console, or with a system rescue CD... Basically due to fdisk and mounted filesystems... So unless you have access to the machine physically, I don't know how could you do that.