Re: FC3 sucks. It takes up too much memory!

akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 01:59:43AM -0800, Mark Eggers wrote:

On Wed, 2005-01-26 at 22:49 -0800, John Wendel wrote:

I usually have a terminal window open, a web browser with multiple tabs,
Evolution mail, Pan (news reader), a system monitoring application,
Emacs, Netbeans or jEdit or Bluefish, and xmms.  If I'm writing web
pages, I have IE running under Wine (Crossover Office) as well.

All this is done on a Dell 8200 with 768 M memory and a 60 GB hard disk.
The performance for a single person (me) is reasonable.  I can even shut
down a lot of the stuff and play Unreal Tournament acceptably.

768 M of memory is a lot of memory for an average "slub" (a technical term) to have in their machine when they decide to run a FCx installation. I fully believe you have no memory or swap problem with that much ram memory. We have no particular memory or speed problem with 500M of memory on our machines. But below that things get dicey.

As I stated in another message, I run FC3 on a system with 384MB of memory. I don't hit max memory until run a Java based Torrent client for about an hour. It is possible to run FC3 on a less than optimal system, successfully. But the footprint of FC is growing and that is a disturbing trend.

And some problems cannot be solved by throwing more assets, such as memory at it.

--
James McKenzie