Re: Yum proxy?

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
Ed K. wrote:
On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
Is there any such thing as a yum proxy? And I don't mean setting up yum to work through a proxy. I'm hoping for a daemon through which the host and client connect, and which would in turn access the repos, so as to save band width.

Does such exist?

Yes, its called squid. have a look at my yum repository. it properly sets and uses the expires and if-modified-since http headers:

http://www.edebris.com/fedora.redhat/mirror/
http://www.edebris.com/fedora.us/mirror/

Yes I'm aware of squid. But how well would it work with ftp, and would squids caching cause problems? If not, then my question has been answered.

You can only use squid if you use a http repository that properly uses expires and if-modified-since, like the ones at edebris.com.

This is different then trying to mirror the yum repository at menioned at:
http://www.fedoranews.org/alex/tutorial/yum/
It even talks about requiring 5G and I think that figure is low. The mirror is now 25G for fedora.us and 16G for fedora.redhat without the source RPMS.

I always make mention of using squid as a proxy and a properly contructed http server in the hopes that more mirrors will copy, and more installations will not require their own local copy of a yum repository. I have 5 sites with fedora core 1/2/3 installations and none have a local yum repository.

Maybe I should write an article for FedoraNEWS.org?

ed