Re: Yum proxy?

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
Is there any such thing as a yum proxy? And I don't mean setting up yum to work through a proxy. I'm hoping for a daemon through which the host and client connect, and which would in turn access the repos, so as to save band width.

Does such exist?

I'll leave the details up to your googling abilities, but what you could do is one of these two ideas:

1. RSYNC

use rsync to keep a local mirror on one of your servers, then set up an alias in apache to serve your repo to your private network.

2. NFS

use nfs on a local server and redirect your yum cache on each machine to the nfs share. This way you only download what you need, and you only download once per package.

I use nfs because I'm only serving three machines at the moment. Rsync and a web server would probably be better if you have more machines and have multiple different package requirements.

--
Chris Stark
Musician, Linux User, Grad Student