Yum 'eats' memory excessively [Was FC3 *****]

-----Original Message-----
From: John Wendel <jwendel10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Jan 26, 2005 11:49 PM
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: FC3 sucks. It takes up too much memory!

Edward Yang wrote:

[snip]

> Thanks for replying. Though it's quite off the topic to discuss what a
> troll is, but I apparently see many people in Linux community likes
> calling someone else *troll*.

I've got one box that has 128 MB of memory. I normally use it for
application testing and it has a minimal FC3 install, no Gnome, no KDE,
and I almost always run without X. This morning I wanted to install
"system-config-httpd" so I entered "yum whatprovides
system-config-httpd\*" and walked away. When I came back in 15 minutes
the box was having a major swap shit storm. Logging in on another VT
took several minutes and running free showed all the memory used along
with 200MB of swap and growing. At this point, I killed the yum process
and the box recovered.

I then went and ran the yum command on my 512 MB box and watched free
memory while it was running. It worked this time, but it did exhaust all
the memory in the box and use a load of swap space.

-----James' reply-----

Sounds like a problem with either yum or python (since yum is a python program) that needs to be bugzilla'd.  I've never noticed this, but I will watch memory usage when I try to run yum update for one of several packages I need to update.

James McKenzie
A Proud User of Linux!