Re: 2 users on one FC3 system?

On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 03:30:16PM -0600, Jeff Vian wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 20:24 -0800, Nifty Hat Mitch wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 10:38:42AM -0500, Analog Kid wrote:
> > >    Is it possible for the two of us to work on the same system (i.e.
> > > CPU) simultaneously under different user logins? We do have 2
> > > monitors, 2 keyboards and 2 mouses.
> > >    Any inputs will be appreciated.
> >
> > Two display cards (monitors), two keyboards, two mice two seats
> > is not easy to get working.  I have never seen it done satisfactorly...
> > little stuff like audio will bother you.

> > You will not have two AGP slots,

This part is important.

> > very SLOW so even if you got it working one seat will be lesser
> > than the first.
> >
> > Others have commented on potential issues with software licensing.
> >

> What!!
>
> F/OSS does not limit licensing as does that other os.
> Linux is multi-user and AFAIK all software installed that is not
> proprietary and otherwise restricted can be used by multiple users
> freely.
>
> I think licensing is not an issue in getting things working, and even if
> it is of concern later that is after the first hurdle is crossed.

This "after multiple seats are working" part is what others commented
on.  In something like this it can be painful to get past the initial
hurdle and find that the last hurdle is a brick wall.

If by chance the design software (which was unnamed) has restrictions
then this is a critical planning point.

The other point is that if the design software is CPU bound two copies
running on one 4GHz will run slow perhaps slower than if it was on a
2GHz box.  The economics of a shared high end box could then prove
false.  Dual processor will benchmark differently.

Back to the display part.  My first RH box had a PCI based gfx
display and the system was very slow.  I replaced that card with a $40
AGP card and it was at least 8 times faster as I recall.  Since the
application is unnamed we do not know if it is one of those packages
that uses 3D/ accelerated graphics directly or indirectly.  The mid
and low range AGP display cards are terrific values.

The last time I looked at box prices, $2000.00 got a machine that was
only a little faster than the $1500 machine.  Since this is to be
shared the price of two machines that run better than half as fast as
another could well add up and be less expensive.  Again we do not know
the work load or critical application.  We do know that 2X money is
not 2X speed.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	spam unwanted email.