Re: Freeing some partition space...

James Wilkinson wrote:

Gustavo Seabra wrote:

I'm running out of space in the / (root) partition. To free some space, I want to clean the temporary files in /tmp, but I heard a while ago that it might break something if done while running a graphical desktop. How can I clean it then?

Log out, press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get to a text screen, log in as root, check that the output of mount looks sane.

This is important! Some scripts and programs will mount other stuff
under /tmp (e.g. /tmp/windows). If you're not careful, you can delete
stuff you don't mean to delete.

Then remove stuff from under /tmp. Try

shopt -s dotglob
rm -ri /tmp/*
shopt -u dotglob

Or (possibly safer)
find /tmp -xdev -ok rm {} \;

When you're happy with what's happening, replace rm -ri with rm -rf (but
*do* be careful), or -ok with -exec.

Press Alt+F7 to get back to the graphics mode.

Done that, and worked great. Thanks a lot! However, there were a few weird things: after deleting the /tmp files, when restarted, kde took an awful lot of time to restart and, when it finally finished, the sound mixer wasn't working correctly; I had to open alsamixer and crank up the volume to hear anything (which i never had to do before!)

Other than that, all seems fine. Thank you again!

--
Gustavo Seabra - Graduate Student