Re: Should I wait for Fedora Core 4?

Bill Case wrote:
Hi dant;

Trying to avoid old problem re-hash but ...

Bill Case wrote:

Hi;

The Fedora site predicts that the Core 4 release will be available

mid

May. I am waiting for a couple of updates or fixes that I

particularly

want i.e. Yelp 2.9/2.10 and a Xemacs, Emacs modifier key bug fix.

Should I wait for Core 4 or should I futz around now trying to get
downloads working in Core 3.  I have only been on Linux for a year

but I

am willing to try.

Regards Bill

What's wrong with your current download situation?

Thanks
-dant

Xemacs will not recognize my super(win) or my shift key as a modifier
keys.  After some discussion on this list, a couple of weeks ago, it was
established that there was a bugzilla report on this problem and a
Fedora/Xemacs fix was required. I am waiting for that fix.

Yelp has just released version 2.9 - I believe - with access to info and
man included, but I read that the final fix would be Yelp version 2.10,
that would be included with Gnome 2.10 which would only be included with
Fedora Core 4.  Is this not true?

I was trying to ask in short form, if these two things in particular
would be fixed in Core 4 and/or are they fully fixed now and can I apply
them to Core 3 without too much difficulty.

Regards Bill

Bill -

have you tried perhaps giving a hand at building your own RPMs? If you've never done this before, it can be quite a daunting task - but definately something to look forward to if these upgrades are what you really want. After that, perhaps you can make the packages available to those who are in the same position as you.

If all else fails, I suppose you'd still ahve the experneice and knowledge on how to do something like this in the future. I'm sorry that I cannot be of more help.

Thanks
-dant