Corrupt console fonts

I've just installed FC3 on an old PC (K6 500) and although X is working fine all the consoles are filled with garbage through most of the boot process and onwards.

The last thing I see before everything goes wrong is the message about setting the default system font so I presume this is what's messing things up.

I've checked my locale setting is correct (en_GB.UTF-8), but beyond that I'm stuck for what else to try. So I suppose I've got a few questions:

1) Where is the default font set, and what could I change it to which might work better.

2) Which hardware component is causing this to screw up? The grahics card? I always thought the console stuff was so common it should never really go wrong?

If it matters, the graphics card on this machine is a Trident Cyberblade i7(Rev 5b) which is happily running in X using the trident driver.

Cheers

Simon.