file system errors for password file

He after upgrading from core 2 to core 3
my server has gone crazy three times.

I have a 2 CPU Dell 4350 with a PERC RAID.
The upgrade switched the default boot from
SMP to uniprocessor.  I fixed it to boot SMP,
but the problem continues.

The server is a file server and usually
has this problem when it is idle overnight.
In the morning it won't accept passwords
(including root) until it is rebooted.

I usually see messages on the console like:
"EXT-fs error (device sda2) in static_transaction"

I suspect it must be a bug in core 3, but I
haven't been able to find similar problems
from others.  I will probably reinstall core 2
to see if that fixes the problem, but I thought
I should post a report.