Re: dell + drive door won't respond

On Sun, 2005-23-01 at 16:06 -0500, Larry Richardson wrote:
> Anyone seen this under FC2 on a dell machine, where the button on the
> drive door will just decide at random that it won't respond to a press?
>   Once this happens, I can't get the cd-rom drive to respond at all...
> the only cure seems to be a re-boot.  Has anyone experienced something
> similar, and/or found a way to get the drive to respond again without
> rebooting?

Only because I have this on a bunch of Windows 2000 machines am I
suggesting this.

The drive seems to be detached from the system, or the computer has put
the drive in some sort of a sleep mode.

I have 14 Dimension 4000's with CD-RW drives in them, and every single
ones does this. After an undetermined amount of time, the drive will not
open. You also get the unsafe removal of a device (under windoes 2000)
screen up, like if you yanked out a memory key without stopping it. One
user reported this problem while he was burning a CD.

A phone call to Dell tech support was to no avail. The common thing
about these machines is that I ghosted 13 of them over from the same
image, and would have wrote it off to that fact, had I not also
installed Windows 2000 Server on one as a test. It does it on that one
too.

I haven't called Dell again yet, but something tells me it's the drives
themselves. I may have an opportunity to test this on Thursday with
another drive.

Not that this helps, but it gives you something else to think about.

-=/>Thom