Re: 2 users on one FC3 system?

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 10:20:48 -0600, Dale Sykora <dalen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Analog Kid wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >    My friend and I are planning to invest on a high-performance Dell
> > Dimension 4700 with all the "max" specs (costs about $ 2500) for
> > running a highly memory and processor intensive design software on
> > FC3.
> >
> >    Is it possible for the two of us to work on the same system (i.e.
> > CPU) simultaneously under different user logins? We do have 2
> > monitors, 2 keyboards and 2 mouses. What is the best way to accomplish
> > this task so that we both can share the available computing power
> > simultaneously? Do we have to build a mini-LAN? In that case would we
> > need another CPU?
> >
> >    Any inputs will be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Sid
>
> Sid,
>         If the app is cpu/memory intensive, you might want to consider an AMD
> 64 system.   If this is commercial design software, check how it is
> licensed.  Many commercial design apps require a licence key to be
> checked out while in use.  If you only have 1 key, only 1 user could use
> the software at a time.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dale

I agree with Dale.  If you want a high-performance computer, I would
not get a Dell.  Or any other pre-built, brand-name system.  Build it
yourself.  Go to www.newegg.com and order the components.  I think you
will find you can put together a good system for less, or an even
better system for the same amount.  AMD64 is a very nice platform and
has good support from Fedora.  If you are willing to buy the extra
memory, you can utilize more than the 4 GB maximum imposed on 32-bit
processors.  You might even look at a dual CPU motherboard, of course
that will cost you a little more : ).  Especially if your software
comes in 64-bit or is open-source and hence can be compiled, you will
get very good performance.  Also, with building your own system, you
don't have to pay for Windows (which it seems you won't use) or any
other software that you don't need or want that you will be forced to
buy with the Dell.

As far as your multi-user setup, make sure you can both use your
software at the same time first, as there could be licensing issues as
others have pointed out.  If so, I'd ssh to the machine from either an
older box or perhaps one of the x terminals that Leon suggests.  Linux
systems are used in that way all the time.

Jonathan