Re: Hardware for Linux Kernel 2.6

Minnie Lau wrote:

Hi!
I am trying to buy a PC (rack mount) to work as a server, and I am planning to install Linux Kernel 2.6 on it. Does anyone know if the following hardware (if so, what brand name) will work with Linux Kernel 2.6:
1. Hard Drive: SCSI Raid 1

I suggest googling for this. Look for a good hard drive. As far as I know, there's no such thing as a Linux incompatible (modern) HDD

2. USB 2.0

Long since in the kernel as far as I know. A non issue. Any brand should do. I like Ultra, but that's just me.

3. Video Adapter (what type?)

Both Nvidia and Ati seem to have closed drivers for Linux. But for a server, you really shouldn't be pushing that much graphics, so embeded vga should easily meet your Linux GUI needs. But I would suggest a 32MB PCI or AGP card.

4. Network Adapter (what type?)

If you find one that doesn't work with Linux, I'd be suprised.

5. Processor (what type?)

Sorry, can't help much here. I would suggest however a boat load of high speed primary storage. But get from a good source to ensure no DOA's.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Just my $0.02.

Minnie

Peace