Re: Disk Druid - Fedora flame #1

Jeff Vian said:
[snip]
>> So by your own reasoning, we need
>> to remove DD complete and just put a dialog that asks where to put / and
>>  put everything there.  That's it.
>>

> That is EXACTLY what _was_ done by putting in the autopartition option.
> and the opposite is what I feel would be better.

Autopartition option... not requirement.

> BTW William,
> Much earlier in this thread you asked me a question about DD and its
> partitioning related to what it did for me. I recently did a new install
> and checked carefully the results.
>
> 1.  DD chose the order to place the partitions.  That was NOT the order
> they were defined in.  I created / as the second partition, but DD chose to
> make it hda5 on its own.  It displayed the order in the gui bar
> dynamically as they were defined (in its own order, but with sizes as
> specified)
[snip]

Which is as I observed.  The comment I was responding to said that DD
changed somewhere between what the GUI says and what was written to the
disk.  I'm still waiting for a repeatable case of that, BTW.

> This type of (at least somewhat uncontrollable) AI is what I see as a
> problem.  Even Partition Magic on Windows respects the order in which
> partitions are defined and positions them accordingly.  DD does not.

For the vast majority of people it doesn't make a lot of difference.
Framing the installer around special cases is the path to insanity.

[snip]
> Why not 2 major paths in the installer?  one for the Expert and one for
> the new user.
[snip]

We've been there and done that and got the T-shirt.  All it leads to is
going around in circles until someone finally mentions "Oh, and I hit that
thing that said expert at the beginning".

IMHO the fdisk situation is the perfect way to fix it.  People that care
that strongly can get to it, the other 90% who don't give a damn can go
through the install.  Of all the threads on this list, how many of them
are about partitioning during the install (other than "how big should I
make /var" and the like)?  I really believe this is a mole hill, not a
mountain.

--
William Hooper