Re: fglrx and AGP vs PCI-X

Jack Howarth wrote:

Has anyone gotten a machine with a PCI-X based Radeon 9600-XT to accelerate properly with ATIs fglrx kernel model. I have been
buying Tyan motherboards in the past with AGP but for our newest machine it seems I will have to go with PCI-X. I have some serious
concerns about switching to PCI-X. Do the stock xorg 6.8 drivers
provide the same level of accelerate under PCI-X as AGP. Also do
the ATI fglrx drivers support PCI-X as well as they support AGP
and will there be any performance hit from using PCI-X instead of
AGP?
Jack

Did you mean PCI-E (as in PCI Express) or PCI-X as in PCI-eXtended? (just teasing ya)... As far as I know, these first revisions of the cards and PCI-E bus, you won't notice much of a difference, especially with a 9600 or any other 9x00 Radeon card. Supposedly X*00 (and 6x00's) based cards do use the higher bandwidth PCI-E provides, but for the time being, performance of PCI-E is pretty much the same as AGP 8X (I don't believe there are any PCI-E 16X cards out yet, anyway).