HAL keeps asking me to configure my printer

How do I tell HAL to keep its grubby paws off of my printer?  I have
an Epson Stylus CX4600 multifunction printer that is handled through
CUPS by a driver provided by Epson.  Much of the time when I turn
on the printer, HAL (at least I believe it is HAL) pops up a dialog

      SPECIFY PRINTER DRIVER
      You have just plugged in a 'Seiko Epson Corp. USB MFP'
      printer. The proper driver was not detected.
      Please select a driver.

Contrary to the message, the printer is indeed configured.  The
configuration is handled through CUPS at http://127.0.0.1:631/
or through the Epson software.  It is not known to
system-config-printer.  When I turn on the printer I have to
click on "Cancel" in the above dialog.  This is getting tiresome.

--
Bob Nichols         rnichols42@xxxxxxxxxxx