Re: dell + drive door won't respond

Larry Richardson wrote:

Anyone seen this under FC2 on a dell machine, where the button on the drive door will just decide at random that it won't respond to a press? Once this happens, I can't get the cd-rom drive to respond at all... the only cure seems to be a re-boot. Has anyone experienced something similar, and/or found a way to get the drive to respond again without rebooting?

Larry Richardson

Deffinitely check first if there's a CD in the drive and the drive is mounted (an icon of the CD on your desktop or by typing mount at the command prompt), if the drive is mounted, and you have an icon on your desktop, right click it and then select 'unmount voulme' or 'eject volume'... Then the drive door should open. On occasion you may get an error "Device or Resource busy", which leads me to ask a question myself to the list: How can you track down what process has locked the CD Rom drive, when you have nothing opened showing its contents, nor a VT cd'ed to it?!?!