Re: Moving / and swap into LVM

Matthew Saltzman a écrit :
I have a 40G disk partitioned as follows, with no empty space:

/dev/hda1 - Mfgr's diagnostics
/dev/hda2 - WinXP system
/dev/hda3 - Lunix /boot
/dev/hda4 - Extended
    /dev/hda5 - WinXP data
    /dev/hda6 - LVM physical volume
    - /home
    - /opt
    - /usr
    - /usr/local
    /dev/hda7 - FAT32 shared by WinXP and Linux
    /dev/hda8 - /
    /dev/hda9 - swap

I've discovered that space on / is a bit tight, so I'd like to change things around so that I have:

    /dev/hda6 - LVM physical volume
    - /home
    - /opt
    - /usr
    - /usr/local
    - /
    - swap
    /dev/hda7 - FAT32

Is this possible without reinstalling? If so, how?

I think so (thanks to LVM)

First disable swap space (in fstab and reboot)

Convert /dev/hda9 to pv (pvcreate)
Extend the LVM "volume group" by adding the new PV
	vgextent
Create the new / in the LVM (hope you have enough place)
	lvcreate, mke2fs
Copy file (from old / to new /) from CD rescue
change from old / to new / (edit fstab and grub.conf)
Convert /dev/hda8 to pv (pvcreate)
Extend the LVM "volume group" by adding the new PV (vgextent)
Create a new lv for swap
	lvcreate, mkswap
Enable the new swap space (edit fstab)

But, first of all : make a backup !