Re: Mime-type question?

On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 07:06, Brian Fahrlander wrote:
>     I'm wanting to set up a set of PHP code to present a link and have
> it open a terminal window, with a hostname destination in it- kinda like
> ssh:///root@xxxxxxxxxxxx and make a one-click connection to the remote
> machine.
>
>     Is this something that can be easily done, most likely on Firefox
> and/or Mozilla?

I don't think this will be easy.

I can think of two ways to do this neither of which is "easy".

First way, you would need to utilize something like java scripting.
Your web page would then be able to startup a terminal application on
the users machine, in this case an ssh session.

Second way, you would need to startup the ssh session on the web server
where the page is and pass the data back to the user over the http
connection (suggest using https for stuff like this).

Only in the second case could you possibly use php to do this.  Even
that may not be the right tool.  (as much as I like php it is just not
suited to certain types of things.)

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@xxxxxxxxxx

"Oh, I've seen copies [of Linux Journal] around the terminal room at The
Labs."
(By Dennis Ritchie)