screen suddenly gone darker

My screen has just gone suddenly darker - again. It did this a while ago in windows and now it's done it under fc3. I'm guessing that it's a hardware issue because it's the same when i goot to windows _and_ it effects the grub boot dialogue too! That means whatever's happening it's early in the bootup process. That's if software even plays a role at all...

I'd love some suggestions for what to do about this - how to pin down a cause. I've got brightness and contrast turned up to max - if it happens yet again, then things will be annoyingly dark.

Duncan