HOWTO use Password Manager

Earlier today, someone asked about a good, compact password management system. Then someone else asked how to integrate it into his other operations.

I've been playing around with Password Manager and have a few insights:

1. Password Manager lets you store your passwords and list them in one place, and even to let you use a "normal" Master Password to manage incredibly complex passwords that you'd never remember. It also lets /you/ pick the name and location of this file, or even to manage more than one such file.

2. PWManager will even launch other applications that load password-protected documents.

I haven't yet figured out how to feed a password into Firefox where it asks for a username. But I have a few tips for anyone who's interested in using it to its fullest:

1. Install a good password generator. Gnome has one available. You set the number of passwords you want, and how many characters each one should have, and press a button labeled "Execute." Instantly you have all the passwords you need, quicker than it takes to read this.

2. Give your password file a "hidden" name. That's right--begin it with a dot. PWManager will restrict read and write permissions to the owner (and refuse execute permissions), and will encrypt everything in the file--but take my advice, people; you need to hide the file itself. So use a name like ".pwds.pwm"--and don't forget that beginning dot.

Other than that, just play around with it. The command to run it is "pwmanager" or "/usr/bin/pwmanager". I added it to my top panel and have already used it to store a randomly generated password for managing a remotely hosted business Web site. It already shows a lot of promise for my operations, and I'm sure I'll find other uses for it.

My only quarrel with it: Why does it show so much preference for KDE that I can't even load the manual?

Temlakos