Re: strange strange problem! (please help!!)

Globe Trotter wrote:
> So, this is what was done: one of our systems admininstrators installed MS
> Windoze XP Professional on the machine and then partitioned the
> HDD so that I could put linux on it. The officially 60 GB HDD (which
> is actually like 57GB really) was partitioned into 10GB for Windoze,
> and the rest for Linux. Using Disk Druid, I partitioned the remainder
> further into 40GB for /usr/local (which would also include my home
> directory), 1 GB for swap and the remainder for /. /usr/local/ and /
> are both ext3 partitions. I installed Fedora Core 3 and everything is
> fine.
>
> Now comes the twist. I have been trying to secure copy all the files
> in my office machine (my home directory) to the /usr/local on the laptop. There
> are about 21GB worth of files. At start, /usr/local on the laptop has less than
> 1 GB worth of files. However, I run out of space and it still does not get
> done. I must note that du on the directory /usr/local/me on the office Dell
> Precision 650 indicates that the size is
>
> /usr/local> du -sm me
> 21413   me
>
> However, the laptop is getting swamped, and running out of disk
> space. I can understand some amount of discrepancy, but so far off
> that a 21GB directory is not fitting in close to 40GB HDD????

Weird.

Can I suggest that you issue the command
df -m
from time to time while you're copying files to see where the space is
going?

You might want to try copying subdirectory by subdirectory, too, to see
if you can identify a problem directory or file.

James.

--
James Wilkinson       | Say it with flowers, send a triffid.
Exeter    Devon    UK |