Re: grub and flying elephants

akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
The subject line is for those who remember Dumbo and the line "I guess I
will have seen everything when I see an elephant fly".

Well Grub has shown me something I have never seen before so I need help.

We have 7 identical machines bought at the same time. They are the Dwarf
machines. I have successfully got Dwarf1 and Dwarf7 up and going with FC2.

This morning I loaded exactly the same software through untarring an image
of Dwarf7 on Dwarf2, 3 and 4. I changed the entries in the hosts, network and
ifcfg-eth0 files. I changed the grub.conf so it looks like the ones that
work. I will include a copy below. When I run grub-install the all three
machines return with the error:
the file /boot/grub/stage1  not read correctly.

I copied the whole grub directory from a working machine and got the same
error. On another machine I zeroed the boot part of the MBR and got the same
error from grub-install. I am clueless. Any help would be appreciated.

That almost has to be a problem with the device map, though why that would differ on identical machines is a mystery. Different BIOS setup, perhaps? Try deleting /boot/grub/device.map, or run grub-install with the "--recheck" option.

That "file $file not read correctly" message is coming from the
grub-install shell script.  If you take a look at the script you
might be able to figure out what is happening.

--
Bob Nichols         rnichols42@xxxxxxxxxxx